China Team Update #14
In my last update I discussed the Day Camp team members; this update will discuss the Teen Camp team members:
- Pastor Woody - Although young and inexperienced as far as mission trips are concerned, Pastor Woody has done a remarkable job leading the teen camp. The campers fell in love with him. He maintained order. He loved on the teens. He preached using an interpreter for the first time. He adjusted the schedule as needed. He really was a blessing to have on this trip.
- Daniel Taylor - His responsibilities were primarily in the area of games and skits. Daniel’s preparation and understanding of the games prior to our arrival was evident as the gametime and skits ran flawlessly. Daniel has been an invaluable asset to this team.
- Shelli Armstrong - Prejudicially speaking, Shelli had one of the most difficult responsibilities and burdens on this trip… feed 50 people three times a day in an inferior environment while ensuring that no one was sickened by the food or unsanitary conditions. Mission accomplished! Shelli and her team did the unbelievable, unthinkable, and successfully conquered an impossible mission.
- Emily Morrison - Emily was one of the other kitchen ladies and she was a spectacular help to Shelli. She created desserts that would have been difficult in good conditions. She seemed to never tire and always had a smile on her face.
- Kimberly Jones - Kimberly completed the third part of the kitchen crew and she excelled. She washed dishes, helped serve, created Rice Krispy treats, and even had time to participate in the special music program. She was not with the Chinese teenagers as much as everyone else; yet, she was able to forge friendships in spite of her time constraints.
- John Buntin - John was a counselor with several boys in his room. He was always helping rearrange the dining room or helping with a game. John was instrumental in helping lead a teenage boy to the Lord which he shall never forget. John earns the award for the ability to be the fastest to soak a shirt with sweat in the humid conditions we endured… 3 seconds flat!
- Sandra Buntin – Sandra was a room counselor and endured really difficult conditions with not enough sleeping space and a ceiling that leaked. She was responsible for the crafts that turned out to be a smashing success! The campers loved creating their photo albums and backpacks and bracelets. Awesome crafts and many happy campers. Sandra also served as the camp nurse but praise the Lord we did not have any injuries of significance.
- Martha Castro – Martha helped with the snack shop, serving meals, and served as a room counselor. Martha had a five foot square of her ceiling cave in and go “splat” all over the floor. It was a huge mess. However, Pastor Woody, John Buntin, and I jumped in to help clean up this mess… the ceiling still leaked most of the week. Martha had a birthday and after breakfast, Pastor Woody called Dan and he listened in as we sang H Bday to Martha. She cried. Then, Pastor Woody said there was someone else that wanted to sing her H Bday… so both boys from Tucson sang to Martha… she really cried… it even choked me up. She misses her boys so badly.
- Analis Castro - Analis was a room counselor with Bethany Jones. Analis helped forge friendships with the girls in her room. She has been smiling and ever so pleasant to have on this trip.
- Bethany Jones - Bethany was a counterpart to Analis in a room with Chinese teenagers. Bethany always smiles and has a sweet, sweet disposition. She is a blessing just to watch from a distance. Bethany really worked with the girls in her room as she had a tremendous burden for their spiritual condition. Bethany also participated in the special music program each day.
- Lauren Cutright - Lauren was a room leader who also had mold and a roof collapse. We had to move her Chinese girls and Lauren and Carissa to the craft room to sleep at night. She maintained a positive attitude with bouncing back and forth from sleeping to getting ready each day. Lauren has had a couple of serious headaches; yet, she has tried to work through them and still maintain a sweet smile.
- Shelby Jones – Shelby was a room leader with several Chinese teenagers… her roof did not collapse. Shelby really worked diligently to develop a relationship with the girls in her room. By weeks’ end, she had accomplished her mission. She has maintained a great attitude without complaining once. Shelby really pushed her girls at gametime and verse memorization. Shelby blessed us with the special music program each evening.
- Carissa Frisinger – Carissa was also in Lauren’s room and served as a room counselor. Carissa was willing to help whenever she was asked and frequently was seen helping without being asked. Carissa also had to bounce back and forth from the craft room to her other room without ever complaining, just smiling.
- Keith Bee – This is Keith’s first time to ever do something like this and he has adapted well. He was a room counselor which pushed him way out of his comfort zone; however, he did a marvelous job. He has taken lots of pictures for us to use at a later date. It has been a blessing to have such a fine young man on our trip. Even the Chinese girls like him… I even have a pic of Keith running away from one that was chasing him.
- Jonathan Armstrong – Jonathan was a room counselor with three other Chinese boys. He also taught the morning devotion time using an interpreter. Jonathan helped in numerous ways and has been a huge blessing to have on this trip. Although he has been to China numerous times, it was great to see him serve others.
There you have it, two teams that have impacted so many from TBT right here in China. Each person has contributed in some way. Praise the Lord for allowing us to accomplish our mission.